miércoles, 17 de diciembre de 2008

Philosophy of Teaching

My philosophy of teaching and learning foreign languages has developed, from the beginning, like other teachers in the teaching field, on the communicative approach basis and I think it will continue to do so‚ including some changes according to the context and my students’ needs. The guiding principle in my teaching now includes the idea that, as a teacher, I should seek to empower or capacitate students with the necessary skills to take control of their own learning process, I mean, the tricks of successful language learning, and, at the same time, emulate the behaviors that I expect my students acquire. For this, I should take charge of my own individual development as teacher, researcher and administrator.
The activities I am engaged in, such as learning a second or third language, reading publishing researches, articles, books and papers, or participating in conferences about teaching techniques and methodologies, learning strategies, language learning in context, have a significant impact on my work. Rather than view the development of teaching as the mastery of prevailing principals and theories that have been laid down by others, as a teacher, I can develop my own effective teaching models based on experience as both a teacher and learner of foreign languages.
I know that I need to be able to choose among the multitude of options at hand such as professional literature, my peers’ behavioral observations, and my experience in one and a half years of being a teacher in foreign language courses. Besides, I need to know why I had made these choices because I need to be flexible and open to implement new ideas into my teaching at the same time. Despite everything that has been written, I do know what works best for me when I teach in the classroom, I do know why I love to teach and I do know that I learn as I teach.
In a community interaction is a relevant factor in communication. Personal interaction with my students is one of the most important aspects of my teaching. Interaction is crucial to the development of a good rapport with them. I make a great effort to know their names, their abilities, and needs. Since foreign language classes are small enough, I learn their majors and interests, their schedules. I make myself available outside the classroom by encouraging students to come to me to ask whatever they need in free hours, and I use email to communicate with my students and as a teaching and learning way. I have great respect for the individuality of each one of them. I have a willingness to listen and answer any question.
For me teaching is a learning experience. During my short teaching experience time, I have learned to be flexible in my methodology and approach, to deal with unusual students and learning strategies, and to communicate in a better way every time I teach. I have learned that every student has a story. I have learned to turn my devotion and dedication into a fun activity for the students; I have learned from a nod of comprehension and gain happiness from the smile at a joke. I have received as much as I have given. I have learned every day that teaching is a learning experience.

1 comentario:

Sandra dijo...

You've hit the nail on the head when you say teachers are models. The situated learning theory and the apprenticeship model talk about the teacher's role as someone who models what students are expected to achieve, coaches them while they're carrying out the task and then slowly fades when students have the skills necessary to solve problems by themselves. That's something we've seen animals do for ages while teaching their babies to acquire the skills needed to survive.